Jelenlegi hely

Sightseeing Tours


First tour

  • Main Square
  • Great Church
  • Parish Lane
  • Botka House
  • Hotel Griff
  • Zichy House
  • Kenessey-Szondy House
  • Esterházy Palace
     

The monumental building of the Parish Church raised in honour of St. Stephen the Martyr stands in the middle of the large baroque square. (Length 42m, width 22m, height 72m) The Parish Church or "Great Church" (Nagytemplom in Hungarian) as local residents call it, was built in the place of a medieval parish church that was mentioned in various charters since 1397.

Based on old engravings and descriptions by Vicar Gáspár Pongrácz in 1773, it can be assumed that the dimensions of the old church, similarly to the current one, used to be significant.

The new church was built by the Count Károly Esterházy, Bishop of Eger between 1774 and 1786. It was designed by Jakab Fellner (1722-1780). However, due to his illness József Grossmann (1747-1785) took control of the construction from 1777 on.

In the first phase of construction the walls of the church were built in 1774; the roof was completed in 1775; the monumental towers with characteristic shapes of the Vatican Baroque architecture were built in 1776. The delivery and insertion of stone carvings began in the same year. The staircase, casement stones can be connected to the name Franz Winkelmayer from Pápa; other carved units of  the building, statues, marble cover were created by various masters: Martin Rumplemayer and Johann Messerschmidt from Pozsony (Bratislava), Johann Georg Mess from Tata, Carlo Adami and Giacomo Adami from Süttő, and Philip Jakob Prokop from Vienna.

The church is a typical example of the classic trend of late Baroque style. The classical approach is reflected in the graceful, harmonious and balanced main façade, which is free from lively baroque decorative elements.

The interior of the church radiates serenity. The nave and the chancel are in a single space which is divided by couples of pillars into three sections. The ceiling frescoes were created in 1782-1783 by Franz Anton Maulbertsch (1724-1796), a well-known master of Austrian Baroque painting. The altarpiece, the themes, order and placement of the frescoes were determined by Bishop Esterházy insisting on his own ideas.

Stepping out of the church on the north side you will find Parish Lane with buildings of historical significance. Most of them were built according to the taste and measures of the late Baroque age with understated decor and vault gates. The parish deserves a special attention: its basket arched gate, Louise VI-style window bars show a formal and spiritual cohesion with the Great Church.

Entering a narrow street next to the parish, Ruszek köz (Ruszek Alley) catches the eye of a visitor with some 90 yards of arcade. The building named Lábasház (Foot House) gets its uniform appearance through the corridor rhythmically articulated with longitudinal and transverse arching structure. Stone-framed doors and windows can be found under the arcades with shops and workshops of merchants and craftsmen.

Botka-House is located near the Main Square side of the Foot House the. It was built at the end of the 8th century. Its corner-balcony, garlands, rosettes and wrought-ironwork in the yard make it one of the gems of the Main Square. 

Getting to the east corner of the square let’s go through the old gate of house number 2 Fő utca (Main Street). The gate itself is also worth a look; and even more it is its arched doorway. You can see a replica of the statue of Bacchus by Jacopo Sansovino in the landing of the dimly lit staircase of the building. The original marble statue is a precious treasure of the Museo Nazionale in Florence. The local casino functioned in this house from 1839, the first one to be established after the National Casino.

The building at the corner of Fő tér (Main Square) and Fő utca (Main Street) was named after the bird illustrated in the coat of arms of the Esterházy family. Hotel Griff was a boarding house for quite a long time. Great county balls and theatrical performances were held in its large dance hall. Poet-writer Sándor Kisfaludy being a bodyguard officer used to dance here with Róza Szegedy, later his wife.

It was the place where a Pápa student, Sándor Petőfi our national poet, fell in love with an actress; was disillusioned a few days later and wrote his poem called “Szín és való” (“Play and Reality”) in 1842. The restored building is open to hotel guests again. The amazing dance hall with its beautiful mirrors hosts balls, parties and social events. 

Reaching Fő tér (Main Square) at the end of Kossuth utca (Kossuth Street) you can see probably the most special house of Pápa. Its broad arches in a form of a curved basket serve as a gateway leading to other parts of the town.

House number 21, called Zichy House, is probably the most harmonious building of the square. You can see metal maces at the corners of its mansard roof. The entrance is decorated with eagle-headed door handles and a beautiful lock with a coat of arms. There are Louis XVI-style door bars in its vaulted gate. Furthermore, several beautiful stucco ceiling reliefs in the rooms upstairs make it a marvellous place. Its closed yard with a hanging corridor is also remarkable.

Another interesting building is called Kenessey-Szondy house (1739), which was named after the builders, whose name can be read on the keystone of the frame-stoned, baroque-style gate. You can find a spiral guard stone at the right side corner of the house. It used to protect the corner of the building from wheels of carts and carriages. 

Esterházy Palace was built on the foundations of the former medieval fortress. Its conversion into a palace began in the 1740s designed by one of the greatest architects of the age, Franz Anton Pilgram. Pilgram’s Baroque-Rococo style vision of the palace can be seen in a great painting in the Palatine Hall of the palace. The building – due to location of the former fortress walls – with a slightly irregular U-shape closes up the Main Square from the north. Both of its wings end in mansard roof corner projections. Owing to its moderate decorations, the whole building has varied looks. 

Sándor A.Tóth Life Work Memorial Exhibition as well as the Palace- and Regional Museum are located on one of the wings of the palace. Due to reconstruction works they are currently closed to the public. The old chapel of the palace – the reading room of the town library today – can be found on the first floor in the other wing. The town received Europa Nostra Award for its restoration in 1990. 

Stepping out of the Palace two large, beautifully carved gargoyle reliefs and four statues can be found. Two huge stone lions snarl at the corners of the courtyard. They are the same age as the Palace. One of them is holding the coat of arms of the Esterházys, the other is keeping a palm branch in its paws. A brass statue of Sándor Petőfi by József Somogyi and Mór Jókai Memorial by Jenő Szervátiusz stand in the park in front of the Palace.



Second tour

  • Reformed Old Church

  • Benedictine Church

  • Museum of Blue Dyeing

  • Reformed Church

  • Reformed College

  • Scientific Collections and Library of the Transdanubian Reformed Church District

  • Gránátalma (Pomegranate) Pharmacy Museum

According to the Ordinance of Tolerance by Joseph II, the Calvinists were allowed to return to Pápa in 1783. In the same year they started to build their church in the Main Street, which according to the Regulation was only allowed to be built in a closed yard, without any bells or a tower. The rectangular-shaped, late Baroque - Louis XVI-style church was completed in 1784. Entering the church through the door with 18th century Rococo decoration we get into the open-plan interior of the church bordered by a gallery on three sides.

The whitewashed walls highlight the late Baroque forms. The building is now a Reformed Church History and Art Museum which presents the relics of Transdanubia as well.

Count László Csáky settled the Pauline monks in Pápa in 1638 and had a chapel built in honour of the Annunciation. The present church was built between 1737 and 1742 to replace the chapel. It was commissioned by Ádám Acsády, Bishop of Veszprém, who was of Pápa descent as well. The blessing ceremony of the 38m long, 13m wide and 20m tall oval-shaped, impressive building with a main nave and four side altars took place on 24 July 1742. Blessed Virgin Mary became the title and the patron saint of the church. After the consecration it took 15 years to furnish the church. 

The chancel stalls and benches of the nave all praise handwork of the Pauline monks. The Crucifix, called “Saracen Christ” by the congregation is located on the left side of the narthex. The painting called “Black Madonna” is placed over the main altar. The Crucifix and the “Black Madonna” were both created well before the Baroque era. In the church crypt several corpses have remained intact without any mummification procedure. Bishop Ádám Acsády was buried here as well.

Blue dye craftsmen are known to have lived in Pápa since the 17th century. Carl Friedrich Kluge founded his workshop in 1786 in the place of today’s Museum of Blue Dyeing. The family extended the manufactory in the 1860s; e.g. a new drying room was built. The procedure of dyeing fabric requires abundant water which was provided by the brook called Tapolca running along the workshop. The water was gained from a well using the concept of communicating vessels and it was used on a wash bench built on the bank of the Tapolca.

A hand-driven pattern machine, later on an engine-driven one was set up around 1890. Material shortages during World War I, as well as changes in the folk dressing habits of village people tremendously reduced the demand for products of the workshop.

After the Second World War their stocks gradually depleted. First, hand-made and then factory-made production stopped in 1957. A ministerial decree declared the building with all industrial equipment and remaining stocks a protected monument. The Museum of Blue Dyeing was opened in 1962. All equipment, raw and semi-finished materials, chemicals, machinery and wood patterns are in an outstanding condition, ready to revive the production at any ”moment”. Tens of thousands of Hungarian and foreign tourists visit the museum every year.

The Neo-Baroque style Reformed Church (designed by the architect Kálmán Dudás) was built in the middle of Március 15. tér (15 March Square) between 1931 and 1934. It replaced Jókai Theatre which was demolished in 1931. On the main façade of the building above the columned main entrance and balcony, curved pediment connects the square-shaped, two-piece, helmet-covered towers. The building has 1,250 seats. The church was consecrated in 1941.

Pápa Reformed Church College was founded in 1531. The college had already been working as a two-faculty college by the year 1585, which provided both secondary and theological education. The church in Pápa lost its right to exercise religion freely and the school could only operate as an inferior college in Adásztevel, a village near Pápa. The college moved back to its present building in 1895. 

The College had already six faculties in 1945: Theological School, Grammar School, School of Commerce, Civil School, Lyceum and Teacher Training School. The nationalization of schools resulted in abolishing of the Theological Academy in 1951, and then in 1952 the Grammar School went into the ownership of the state. The institution was reopened and started work again on 1 September 1991.

The Scientific Collections and the Library of the Reformed Church District of Transdanubia are located in the Jókai Street wing of the College which was built in 1895. Among 150 thousand books, brochures, maps and manuscripts the collection called Papensia (the collection of works related to Pápa) and the Old Hungarian Library including incunabula and two codices are treasured parts of the institution. The library’s collection of engravings and medals, as well as an Egyptian mummy are very special attractions.

The last stop on our tour is at the museum-pharmacy, named Gránátalma ("The Pomegranate") which was founded in 1757. Its equipment, inlaid furniture, wall-painted pictures, a statue depicting the Healing Mizer Monk are really noteworthy.

 

 



Harmadik séta

  • Ferences templom
  • Bábsütők háza
  • Református Ókollégium
  • Zsinagóga

Assisi Szent Ferenc követőit, a ferenceseket a Gara-család telepítette Pápára a 15. század közepén. 1559-ben a protestáns Török Ferenc földesúr azonban elűzte őket, és csak 100 évvel később, 1660-ban tértek vissza. Az akkori katolikus földesúr, gróf Esterházy Ferenc építtette fel a ma is álló templomukat 1678-1680-ban. A főhajós, négy mellékoltárral rendelkező templomot 1822-ben renoválták, de eddigi történetének legnagyobb átalakítása és felújítása 1940-1942 között volt. Kicserélték a padokat, a nem 17-18. századi szobrokat és oltárdíszeket, újrafestették a mennyezetfreskókat, és új márványborítást kaptak a falak. A szentélyben álló neorokokó főoltár legértékesebb darabja a templommal egyidős Máriacelli Szűzanya ezüstruhás faszobra.
A templommal átellenes barokk ház fő látnivalója a mesterien megmunkált, napsugaras mintázatú kapu. Az épület egyik fülkéjében Mária-szobor van, a másikban Krisztus a kereszten. Az épületet egykor "ispitának" hívták, azaz idős emberek ápoldája volt, ma is szociális otthon. A templom melletti Kígyó utcában öreg parasztház íves homlokzata és fogrovatos párkánya kelti fel a figyelmet. A kapuhoz közelebb lépve, mint több helyen is, kerékvető köveket, szép kilincseket, zárcímereket láthatunk.

Következő állomásunk az 1790 körül épített bábsütők (mézeskalácsosok) céhháza. A vörösmárvány kapukeret több helyen is előtűnik a festés alól, de igazán a kapu díszei kiemelkedők: a méhkaptár és a bőségszaruk.

1783-ban építették a Szent László utcában álló – ma Leányinternátusként működő - épületet, amelyet többnyire Református Ókollégium néven ismernek. A bejárata feletti emléktábla örökíti meg a kollégium egykori híres tanárainak és tanulóinak neveit. Az 1841/42-es tanévben e falak között tanult: Petőfi Sándor költő, Jókai Mór író és Orlai Petrich Soma festőművész.

A napjainkig eredeti formában fennmaradt zsinagóga építését 1844-ben kezdték el. A 398 m2 alapterületű, közel 20 méter magas épületet Löw Lipót rabbi szentelte fel 1846-ban. A főbejárat a vallási előírásoknak megfelelően a nyugati oldalon található. A zsinagóga puritán külső megjelenését csak a félköríves fülkékbe helyezett romantikus ikerablakok és a klasszicizáló oldalkijárat díszíti. A kétszintes karzatszerkezettel rendelkező, dekoratívan festett belső térben nyolcszáz férfi számára volt ülőhely. A zsinagóga helyreállításra vár.